Work visas

H-1B Visas: Specialized Professionals

Who is Eligible?

Specialized ProfessionalsThe H-1B visa is granted to individuals hired as temporary employees as professionals in specialty occupations, such as accountants, computer analysts, engineers, financial analysts, scientists, architects, and lawyers. To qualify as a specialty occupation, a position must generally require a bachelor’s degree in a specific related discipline. The beneficiary must also hold the appropriate degree or its equivalent. Such an appropriate degree could have been obtained as a baccalaureate degree either from a credentialed four-year U.S. university, or from a foreign university. In the latter case, the H-1B visa petitioner must prove that the foreign university degree is equivalent to four years at a U.S. college or university. If the beneficiary has less than four years of college or university course work, a combination of actual study plus three years of work experience for each year of university education missing may be deemed equivalent to a four-year bachelor’s degree.

How Do I Apply for An H-1B Visa?

Start by filing a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the USCIS. Once that is approved, your prospective employer fills out a Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker along with supporting documentation. The employer then files the forms and documentation with the (USCIS) Service Center in the relevant city. Once the USCIS approves the H-1B petition, a visa is issued by a U.S. consulate.

Documentation Requirements

Workers who want to perform temporary services in a specialty occupation must file a H-1B petition with the following documentation:

  • An approved Labor Condition Application from the Department of Labor.
  • A copy of the foreign national’s U.S. degree (B.A./B.S., M.A., or Ph.D.) or equivalent foreign degree. Evidence of education, specialized training, or experience that is equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree may also be submitted to fulfill this requirement, if the H-1B petitioner has not earned the appropriate degree. Three years of specialized training and/or work experience for each year of college lacking may constitute equivalency to a baccalaureate degree in the specialty. To show equivalency to a master’s degree, the foreign national must have a baccalaureate degree and at least five years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty.
  • A copy of any state license required to practice the occupation.
  • A copy of any written contract between the employer and the petitioner or, lacking that, a summary of the employment terms being offered.

If the worker is terminated before the H-1B visa expires, the employer must provide return transportation of the worker to his or her last place of residence outside the U.S.

Duration of the H-1B Visa

H-1B visas are approved for an initial period of up to three years, however, work visas can be extended beyond that. Generally, the maximum term of an H-1B visa, including extensions, is six years, but there are exceptions in certain cases.

H-1B Visa Portability

H-1B Visa PortabilityA worker can take his or her H-1B visa status from one employer to another. That is, visa portability provisions in the law allow foreign workers previously issued an H-1B visa to begin working for a new H-1B employer as soon as the new employer files a new H-1B petition for the foreign national. Since portability provisions apply to H-1B petitions filed before, on, or after enactment, all foreign workers who meet the requirement have this option. These portability provisions relieve the worker and the employer from having to await approval notification from the USCIS before beginning new H-1B employment.

Labor Certification Application

There have been major changes in H-1B visa laws and regulations. In particular, the Labor Department has recently published additional regulations under the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (ACWIA) which place some difficult requirements on H-1B dependent employers. However, work visa regulations also provide helpful guidance on issues affecting all employers.

Spouses and Minor Children

The spouse and unmarried children of an H-1B visa holder are entitled to H-4 visas for the same length of stay as the worker. The spouse and dependent minor children cannot be employed in the U.S., but they may attend school. In addition, domestic workers of an H-1B visa holder can receive a B-1 business visa and obtain work authorization.

Share with your friends

* This field is required

News & articles

Prev Next
EB-5 Status As of February 12, 2018

EB-5 Status As of February 12, 2018

It looks like we could be about to experience some movement on the immigration debate in t...

Legal Seasonal Workers Available with H-2A Visa

Legal Seasonal Workers Available with H-2A Visa

Agricultural employers struggle to enlist adequate numbers of seasonal laborers every year...

ACS, Inc. President to Visit Vietnam

ACS, Inc. President to Visit Vietnam

Dr. Gregory Finkelson, the founder and president of American Corporate Services, Inc. (ACS...

New Opportunities for US Temporary Work Visa Holders

New Opportunities for US Temporary Work Visa Holders

Some days it seems like all news about the status of U.S. immigration programs is bad news...

Business Immigration to America from Vietnam

Business Immigration to America from Vietnam

In May 2018, Ho Chin Minh City will host Vietnam’s largest exhibition of overseas properti...

Why Should U.S. Businesses & Foreign National Workers Consider H2B Visa?

Why Should U.S. Businesses & Foreign National Workers …

As the issue of immigration once again gains broad attention, the H2B visa may be one that...

Our services

  • Work Visas +

    Every year the United States welcomes thousands of foreign workers in multiple occupations or employment categories, including those Read More
  • Business Visas +

    The United States often signs treaties with other countries in order to promote trade and investment, which in Read More
  • Immigration Visas +

    Immigrant visas to the U.S. are the visas allowing foreigners to immigrate to the U.S. for the purpose Read More
  • Asylum Status +

    Asylum may be granted to people already in the United States and are unable or unwilling to return Read More
  • 1