It is no secret that the subject of illegal immigration has risen in both political and public awareness over the past two years. Discussions, debates, and demonstrations abound, with more than enough emotion to go around on all sides.
The problem, however, seems to be a widespread ignorance of what is a very complex subject. Typically, the more complex a subject, the more complex the solution – with the possible exception of Alexander the Great and the Gordian Knot. Our point today is to share a few facts revealed in a recent study about the rapid rise in illegal immigration. The study was published in November 2016 by the Pew Research Center, one of the most respected research institutions in the world. Each of the statistics cited were valid as of 2014. It is likely that the numbers have increased over the ensuing two years.
- There were 11.1 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S. As a group, they accounted for 3.5%. The percentage may not sound like a lot, but it takes a long time to count to 11.1 million.
- There were eight million illegal immigrants in the U.S. workforce.
- Illegal immigrants accounted for 15% of the American construction workforce.
- Illegal immigrants accounted for 26% of the American agricultural workforce.
- There were 5.8 million illegal immigrants from Mexico.
- There number of illegal immigrants from other countries increased by 325,000. The majority of these were from Asia, Central America, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Nearly 60% of all illegal immigrants in the U.S. lived in California, Texas, Florida (each rather obvious), New York, New Jersey, and Illinois.
- The percentage of illegal immigrants living in the U.S. for 10 years or more had increased from 41% to 66%.
- More than half had lived in the U.S. for at least 13.6 years
- 93% of illegal immigrants from Mexico had been living in the U.S. for more that five years.
Watch for more information in forthcoming articles.
Our immigration and investment expertise is available to you in Dr. Finkelson’s ground-breaking book that was published in 2014, How to Find Chinese Investors, Agents & Clients for Your EB-5 Projects & Services. A Practical Guide for Regional Centers, Attorneys, Developers, and Businessmen. Ordering information is available on our websites: www.Business-Visa-USA.com, www.Business-Visa-USA.cn, www.Business-Visa-USA.hk and www.Business-Visa-USA.ru.
As always, we welcome your input and discussions about immigration on our LinkedIn group: Business and Immigration News & Views https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8140530
Dr. Gregory Finkelson’s new book, Moving Your Family to America – A Simple Guide to Business and Investment Immigration is now available in English and Chinese versions on Amazon. Click on the appropriate language link to order your copy now: www.Biz-Visa-USA.com.